Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Something Hillary Would Never Say



But Donald Trump did (PDF):

Trump recently gave a speech on Radical Islam.  In it, I can identify dozens of things that make him no different than Hillary Clinton – in other words, a tough-talking war-monger.  However, there a few things he said which make him different.  I only care about one of these:

I also believe that we could find common ground with Russia in the fight against ISIS. They too have much at stake in the outcome in Syria, and have had their own battles with Islamic terrorism.

Any “common ground” to be found with Russia will be a good thing, a building block for more common ground.  The more “common ground” found with Russia, the less chance for glowing-in-the-dark ground for all of us.

Do I believe him?  I believe he is sincere.  I cannot say if he will be able to achieve anything like this in the face of a military-industrial complex that wants the opposite.

Do I wish he would say something else, something more?  Certainly.  But Ron Paul isn’t an option in this election.

3 comments:

  1. The most appealing thing about Trump is he's absolutely infuriating (nearly) all the right people - to the point where they are coming unglued.

    Add that to the fact that Johnson has proved he's no libertarian, and his running mate is a full-blown anti-Constitutional statist (how the hell did THAT happen?!), makes me believe that in the privacy of the voting booth a lot of libertarian leaning voters are going to pull for DJT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go back and forth on Trump. Walter Block almost has me convinced with his "lesser of two evils" arguments, but then I think, "can I really vote for him just to vote against Hillary?" I wish the voting system were set up so that you could either actively vote for someone or just UN-vote someone (but not both). The winning candidate then has to have more votes than unvotes, otherwise new candidates are elected and voted/unvoted on.

      I wish Bionic Mosquito would do a post about the pragmatist vs. purist debate currently being waged among libertarians. "To vote Trump or not to vote," if you will.

      Delete
    2. Here you go:

      http://bionicmosquito.blogspot.com/2016/08/vote-trump.html

      Delete